(CNN) – Welcome to the first full month of summer! July is National Ice Cream Month and Women’s Motorcycle Month. Who comes up with this stuff? These people do.
Here’s what else you need to know to Start Your Week Smart. (You can also get our “5 Things You Need to Know Today” newsletter delivered to your inbox daily. Sign up here.)
• By early Monday we should know results of the vote in Mexico, which is holding elections for president and other offices. It marks the end of a bloody campaign season in which more than 130 candidates and party workers were killed in the country, where drug cartels wield enormous power.
• Wimbledon begins, running through July 15. Keep your eye on Serena Williams, who’s seeded 25th, even though she’s ranked 183rd in the world, after taking time off to have a baby. Another key story line: How Rafael Nadal is challenging Roger Federer to be the G.O.A.T.
• The World Cup’s Round of 16 continues with a pair of exciting matches: Sweden takes on Switzerland, followed by Colombia versus England.
• Happy Fourth of July! Besides fireworks and a day off (for many of us), the holiday will be marked by that quintessential American skills test: Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest. Defending champ Joey Chestnut is gunning to earn his 11th Mustard Belt. If you prefer to go bunless, check out the Peachtree Road Race, the world’s largest 10K race. Among the 60,000 runners pounding the Atlanta streets near CNN headquarters will be two members of our 5 Things family: writer AJ Willingham and editor Saeed Ahmed.
• President Trump is set to hold a political rally in Montana. It’s the home state of US Sen. Jon Tester, a Democrat who’s up for re-election in November. Tester’s vote could be key this fall when the Senate likely considers the confirmation of a replacement for retiring Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. Trump’s nominee is due to be announced July 9.
• The first round of US tariffs on Chinese goods are set to go into effect. The upcharges, which the United States says are punishment for intellectual property theft, will hit $50 billion in exports. China has outlined its own tariffs on $50 billion in US goods. And the Trump administration is weighing another $200 billion in tariffs. Markets are not happy.
• A key hearing is set on the mandate by a federal judge in California that halted most separations of children from their parents at the US-Mexico border and called for the reunification of all separated families.
• The Running of the Bulls begins in Spain. If you can’t make it to Pamplona, tag along with CNN in virtual reality.
• The Tour de France kicks off. The famous and grueling bicycle race features more than 13 miles of cobblestones (is your brain bouncing yet?) and the classic Alpe d’Huez climb (don’t look down!) before ending in Paris on July 29.
… the 5 Things Sunday newsletter is FINALLY HERE! Invite your relatives and neighbors and colleagues and friends to sign up here. (Click to rock out.)